Untangle Complex Problems with Modeling
Bring clarity to any process by putting your concepts to paper.
Web practitioners are encountering problem spaces that are more complex than ever before. Cross-channel ecosystems, huge enterprise platforms, and decentralized content delivery are just a few challenges we are having to explore, understand, and gain direction around with stakeholders, before it’s wise to dive into the particulars of interfaces. But how can we collaborate on architecture without the entanglements of design detail? Enter modeling.
Modeling allows us to work with abstraction as tangible objects; it brings physicality to language, decisions, and conceptual relationships that make up and underpin the ecosystems we work with. It allows us to analyze and collaborate more efficiently, with less effort and distraction.
Take This Course If:
- You want to understand when modeling information will benefit a project.
- You want tools to better understand complex problems both individually and as a team.
- You want insight into collaborative model creation and understand when it works and why.
- You want to gain confidence in your modeling ability.
Who Is This For?
TUG’s modeling information workshop is for anyone who faces complex problems, from novice to expert. Those at both ends of this spectrum say this workshop provides valuable experience and useful take-aways.
After completing our practical, hands-on intensive modeling workshop, teams will be able to take messy inputs and work through them, using modeling as a tool to increase understanding.
A pre-workshop discovery meeting where TUG is given an overview of your day-to-day work lives and needs is required. This will allow us to tailor talking points to optimize the workshop for your needs. You will need a projector and group tables big enough for attendees to spread out materials. The majority of the workshop will take place using paper and pens.
In TUG’s modeling workshop, attendees will learn about and experiment with essential ideas and methods for modeling in the design process. It will cycle between short presentations, active hands-on exercises, and group discussion. The short presentations will utilize real-world examples and highlight best practices. Participants will get hands-on experience modeling complex problems provided by the workshop team. Topics we will cover include:
- Discovering and defining “why” we should do something and “what” we should do before jumping into “how” we should do it.
- Untangling complex concepts in order to explain something to yourself.
- Collaborating about (and deciding on) functional capabilities as a group prior to fussing with interfaces.
- Grappling with abstract and quantitative data and their intersections.
- Understanding and relating the parts of big, complex systems.
- Exploring and creating semantic structures and frameworks.
This workshop is typically four hours, but can be customized to fit your needs.
We Customize Training to Your Needs
Workshops can be tailored in many ways—including group size, time constraints, budget, desired outcomes, team skill level, learning styles, and product stage. If you don’t see what you are looking for, please let us know. We’d love to come up with something that best meets your needs.